Retesting involves checking the test cases that are found to have bugs during the execution time. Retesting also occurs when the product has already been tested and there are some issues that need to be addressed. This test is named as retesting.
Retesting depends on whether the developer will accept or reject bug testing. When there is a specific bug that has been rejected by the developer and the tester needs to test the issues when the user reports a problem for retesting and fixing.
Characteristics of retesting
- It is a copy of testing which are performed with the same files and processes in a new build.
- When a particular test case is considered failed test, retesting can only be implemented.
- It takes surety that tests will be successful and that the flow will work.
- During the execution of a test, if there is a bug, the testers will try to find the actual issue and will also do the retesting of that bug.
- To verify the quality of the program, the whole program needs to be retested.
- Those cases that are being retested cannot be computerized.
Example of Retesting
Consider that there is an application that maintains the details of all the employees in an organization. This application has four buttons, including Add, Save, Delete, and Refresh.’ All the other buttons are working as expected, but when you click the “Save” button, the student’s details don’t get saved. The bug was caught by the tester, and he raised it himself. This issue has been assigned to the developer and he has fixed it. It is assigned to the tester again after fixing the issue. The time tester only tested the save button. This is called retesting.
When Do We Do Re-testing
#1. When there is a specific bug fix specified in the release build.
The test team has to test the posted bugs to make sure they are fixed or not, once the new build is released.
#2. When a Bug is rejected:
Sometimes, the development team refuses to fix bugs raised by the testers and mentions the status of the bug as not reproducible. In such a case, the testers will need to retest the issue to ensure that the issue is valid and reproducible.
#3. When a Client asks for a retest:
Sometimes, the Client may ask us to do the test again to make sure the product is of good quality. In this case, the test teams will again test the product.
A product should never be released after modifications have been made to the code, we need to do regression testing too.
Advantages of Re-testing
The advantages of re-testing are listed below.
- It confirms that the problem is solved and working as expected.
- It improves the quality of the product.
- The verification time is reduced because it is limited to the specific issue or any particular feature.
- It doesn’t need a new environment set up. With a new build, testing is done with the same data and environment.
Disadvantages of Re-testing
Here are some of the disadvantages of re-testing:
- For verification of the defect, a new build is required.
- Only the test cases of retesting can be obtained after the testing is started.
- The test cases for re-testing can’t be done automatically.
- It requires additional effort and time due to the re-executing of the failed test cases.