What is Cucumber? What are the BDD frameworks? Selenium Tutorials
Welcome to the Cucumber tutorial series. This tutorial series will help you learn cucumber, BDD frameworks, gherkin syntax, feature files, and many more.
Alright, let’s move with our first tutorial.
In this tutorial, you will learn:
What are the BDD frameworks?
Behavior-driven development (BDD) framework allows software testers to complete test scripts in plain English. BDD focuses on the behavior of the product and user acceptance criteria. Cucumber is one of the best tools for developing with the BDD Framework.
BDD helps to get a common understanding of how your software should behave. It helps create a shared understanding between the business and development teams.
What is Cucumber?
Cucumber is a Ruby-based open-source software testing tool. It provides a testing script that is easy to understand for system acceptance and automation testing.
The Cucumber tool is needed to build acceptance test cases for automated testing. Mostly, it is used to create acceptance tests for web apps based on the functionality of each one’s behavior.
Need of Cucumber for Automation tester
- Cucumber is an automation tool that can be used to write tests for a web application. Users, such as business analysts, developers, testers, etc., are able to automate the functionality in an easily readable and understandable format.
- Cucumber is designed to help teams communicate better about the behavior of an application. These make the execution process simpler and easier to comprehend.
- Cucumber is meant to help teams communicate better about the behavior of their applications.
Problems that were resolved by Cucumber.
- It allows both non-programmers and programmers to develop the test script without any programming experience.
- Unlike other tools, it serves as an end-to-end framework for testing. Cucumber’s test script design is simple enough to reuse code.
- It’s easy for developers and testers to do testing. The concept of writing test cases and creating code based on them makes things easier.
How is the Automation testing industry using Cucumber?
It depends on how well the Organization needs to use Cucumber or a unit testing framework.
- Cucumber execution is easy to execute based on writing test cases. Cucumber makes life easier for both testers and developers, so the industry prefers it.
- Cucumber connects the following teams:
- Business Analysts and Software Engineers.
- Manual and Automation Testers.
- Manual Testers and Developers
- Selenium supports conditionals, but Cucumber does not. Test scripts are written based on requirements in Selenium, but with Cucumber, you start with scenarios. Selenium script is hard to make, but Cucumber script is easier to make. This is also one of the reasons why the industry is choosing cucumbers.